Tuesday, August 5, 2008

DAY 2

Day 2 of my revised eating plan and I would say it started off with a sheeeebang! YEA! I had the most scrumscious breakfast: a raw hotdog. Lol it sounds funny but it was composed of kale, banana, almond butter, and shredded coconut. mmm mmm... sadly I washed it down with a soy drink. ok ok I'll stop complaining about the soy drink already. I'll just accept the dooming sugar rush. Promise! Just have mercy on me for a few days as I get immune to it.
---
----It's later in the day now and I'm feeling quite emotional. The day went by pretty well although I spent it just roaming around..most in Whole Foods. weird huh. I did discover a cute health food shop that had bulk herbs and supplements so I bought nutritional yeast and spirulina.
Nutritional yeast is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium. Some brands of nutritional yeast, though not all, are fortified with vitamin B12. The vitamin B12 is produced separately from bacteria and then added to the yeast. This is exactly why I chose to get it. As of right now I don't think I'm getting enough B12 which is bad because it can lead to severe damage to the nervous system (YIKES!)


Spirulina on the other hand contains an unusually high amount of protein, between 55% and 77% by dry weight, depending upon the source. It is a complete protein, containing all essential amino acids, though with reduced amounts of methionine, cysteine, and lysine when compared to the proteins of meat, eggs, and milk. It is, however, superior to typical plant protein, such as that from legumes. Spirulina is rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), and also provides alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), linoleic acid (LA), stearidonic acid (SDA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and arachidonic acid (AA). Vitamins
Spirulina contains vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (nicotinamide), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, and vitamin E. The bioavailability of vitamin B12 in Spirulina is in dispute. I've been a bad vegan lately and haven't been making sure I get all my vitamins. Oh! as I was saying before, I'm feeling emotional today because my stomach has been feeling bloated and it feels like the muscles are torn from eating more so quickly. I understand it's for my health but if getting healthy has to hurt I think I will take the slow way. Once I finish the soy drinks I'm going to go a more natural route that is without so much sugar. I really don't feel like getting diabetes at 19. YAWN! Oh man I'm tired! I guess I will sign off here. Adios!

No comments: